Sunday, December 13, 2009

24 weeks = 6 months

Imagine my surprise when I realized that as I slowly counted the weeks (like all good pregnant girls do...this is something I never understood before I was pregnant) that suddenly my 24 weeks meant I was 6 months pregnant. Now, its not like this snuck up on me. I felt like the first 3 months took forever. They involved so much waiting and secrecy to a certain extent that it almost seemed to prolong them. The following 3 have blown by! I was so anxious for particular milestones that I was happily counting down those weeks. Week 20 was the biggie...boy or girl. Then there were so many nonpregnancy related events that all of a sudden I was on my way to my 6 month check up!

Six months to me was a sudden wake up call. I am going to be a mom. Soon.

Huh. What I am going to do with that? Part of me is so excited to meet little Sophia. To see what she looks like, who she is going to be. The other part of me wonders if I am going to be a good mom. If I am really ready for this kind of responsibility. On paper, I look like the perfect candidate. Happily married, financially sound, college graduate, elementary school teacher. However, there are those other attributes that don't always make it on the fancy resume'.... that make me second guess.
Either way, motherhood is impending. I need to get ready (as ready as one can be I suppose).
So how do I do this you ask? I shop. I nest. I worry. I read countless books and scour babycenter.com for answers to all my questions. I am getting there. I feel a little more confident each day. Every time I settle on the right nursey items, the safest stroller or learn something new about newborns, I feel that much more prepared. 3 and 1/2 months to put it all to good use.

P.S. I stole this song from a friend :) It calms me.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 6 months have flown by - well 5 that we have known about baby girl. You will be a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good song :) I will make you a cd and send it straight away. I'm pretty sure that's what you need to keep your spirits and confidence up. You are going to be the coolest and best mom! I have such high hopes for you and Bill! Seth always says that the fact that you worry about being a good mom, means you will be a great mom. I'm hanging onto that and hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete