Friday, December 4, 2009

on the brink

For me, pregnancy has been an interesting opportunity to become introspective. And when I say that I mean, I sit back and wonder what  I am doing??

Motherhood is the great unknown. Just wandering down the baby aisles in Target is mindboggling at times. I think that other moms to be feel this way, but what if its just me? Am I the only one who thinks that she is crazy for getting into something that she has no idea about?

I am not the type of girl who has a lot of baby experience. Never changed a diaper in my life. I have no siblings. I am pretty sure when any wellmeaning friend plops their newborn in my lap that I will break it. I love kids. My professional life is dedicated to them as a teacher. But a little tiny baby completely dependent on me is completely daunting.

On the other hand, I have been really enjoying the baby preparation side of things. I spend hours online comparing travel systems, bedding, cribs, and all things baby. I scour baby clearence racks and online sales like a fiend. I check things on Consumer Reports for safety and reliability. I read through each section of all of my baby books each week. I can tell you more about the travel system vs. the stroller or infant car seats vs. convertible car seats then I ever imagined I would. I carefully check things of my mental list (and to be honest the one I keep in my pregnancy journal). I spent months agonizing over the right baby names. I counted down the minutes until the sonogram that told me finally if I was having a boy or a GIRL :) This how I prepare.

And I am pretty sure I still have no idea about the new chapter of my life that will begin in only 4 short months.


 

1 comment:

  1. love it. love you. you're going to be the BEST mommy!

    ReplyDelete